Website York Region
Reporting to the Supervisor, Court Administration, is responsible for providing court administration support services for Provincial Offence court sessions including the operation of verbatim analog and digital recording equipment; preparing and certifying transcripts; preparing statistical reports, maintaining court records and responding to various stakeholder enquiries; completing special projects, as assigned; providing general assistance to judiciary; maintaining proper functioning and maintenance of order in the courtroom
- Enters the disposition of each Part 1, Part 11 or Part 111 matters into ICON to create a post court docket.
- Ensures efficient operation of all recording and transcribing equipment (mixers, microphones etc.) by performing routine maintenance and advising Team Lead if repairs are required.
- Prepares, numbers and stores all tapes/court records, as required, for both court and intake court; responsible for safekeeping of records, tapes, logs and notes during trials and storage in accordance with Ministry of the Attorney General’s guidelines and retention schedules.
- Operates electronic recording equipment (analog and/or digital) to record all court proceedings pertinent to the record; maintains handwritten or electronic log of matters before the court including counsel’s name, judiciary, defendant, tape numbers, dates, addresses, witness names, complementary to the electronic record of evidence; provides playback as required by judiciary.
- Provides judiciary with motions and/or legal documents prior to court commencing.
- Acts as Clerk of the Court while court is in session and provides judicial assistance during proceedings; assists legal professionals, police, municipalities, general public with their enquiries; briefs judiciary on daily docket.
- Reports and records statistical data such as specific court times, number and types of trials, persons in attendance, and origin of proceedings for the purpose of courtroom utilization detailing time spent on Part 1, Part 11 and Part 111 matters to enable reconciliation with Provincial billing.
- Performs other duties as assigned, in accordance with Branch and Department objectives
- Ensures daily docket and exhibits for court proceedings are properly before the court and retrieves any missing material and information.
- Maintains interpreter database and arranges for interpreters to appear in court; verifies interpreters’ invoices for accuracy.
- Knowledge of general office procedures including records management system.
- Required to work at both the North and South location.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated ability in corporate core competencies including customer service, communication, team work, initiative /self management and accountability, and flexibility/adaptability.
- Satisfactory Police Criminal Background Check.
- Knowledge of Provincial Offences and Highway Traffic Acts.
- Certificate of Proficiency through the Court Reporters’ Association of Ontario or equivalent.
- Successful completion of a Post Secondary Diploma/Certificate (1 year or more) in a Legal Assistant or Professional Program or related field or approved equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum three (3) years’ experience in a court environment or related court experience.
- Computer literacy utilizing MS Office software applications and ICON computer systems.
Company: York Region
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Richmond Hill, Ontario, CA
Application Deadline: N/A