Website University of Saskatchewan
To provide the basic husbandry requirements of all animals within research and barrier facilities.
- Work will be performed in conventional, Level 2 and livestock animal facilities.
- This position involves heavy, repetitive manual tasks and is exposed to animal dander, waste and bedding; includes restraining animals,
- cleaning rooms/pens, lifting/moving feed, supplies and equipment, and working in inclement weather.
- Duties are broad in scope and are performed in accordance with standard operating procedures, institutional policies and guidelines.
- This position supports the maintenance of biosecurity assurance among the variety of animal species housed within the facility.
- Completion of Grade 12.Certificates of completion and current standing for WHMIS, Biowaste, Biosafety, Laboratory Safety, UACC Animal Ethics Course and UACC Practical Skills in Rodent Handling and in Aquatics, are required for the position but may be taken immediately after starting if lacking.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have all of the required certificates.Must possess a valid Saskatchewan driver’s license with an acceptable driving record.
- A minimum of 1 year of related experience with animal care and/or handling in an animal vivarium with barrier facilities is required.
- Sound background and knowledge of animal husbandry with respect to various animal species; e ffective interpersonal and communication skills; demonstrated ability to work independently and with minimal supervision; demonstrated effective organizational and time management skills; familiar with working in a barrier facility; basic carpentry skills; computer skills; physical ability to perform heavy manual labor, and to tolerate exposure to a wide variety of animals; and familiarity with using a skidsteer and other equipment to perform duties related to livestock.
Company: University of Saskatchewan
Job Category: Education Jobs
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Prince Albert, Saskatchewan, CA
Application Deadline: N/A