Website Toronto Transit Commission
Provides expertise related to the development and selection of appropriate design concepts, examination of technical data, and production of design information as related to existing and/or proposed surface track and infrastructure projects on the maintenance and rehabilitation of track systems.
- Develop conceptual, preliminary, and final detail drawings of trackwork systems and components utilizing existing standards and new design concepts, and supervising their preparation.
- Check final drawings and specifications for trackwork tenders or construction to ensure all relevant design requirements are met and included for final approval by the applicable signing authority.
- Resolve design issues with suppliers to ensure materials meet requirements of TTC design standards and specifications.
- Liaise with other TTC Departments, public utilities, and/or municipal agencies as required to ensure all design requirements are included on trackwork drawings and related project work is coordinated.
- Investigate, evaluate, and/or test surface track components, systems, and construction methods.
- Compile cost and quantity estimates for budget purposes.
- Prepare reports and make appropriate recommendations, reviewing designs for constructability, cost efficiency, and safety aspects.
- Perform internal and third party technical reviews for design, constructability, and safety related to ensure they are in compliance with TTC standards and industry practices and provide appropriate recommendations.
- Promote a respectful work and service environment that supports diversity, inclusion, and is free from harassment and discrimination. Provides leadership in the development and implementation of inclusive and accessible policies, programs and/or services for employees and customers
- in accordance with TTC’s commitments and obligations under the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC) and Related Orders, the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), and TTC’s policies
- Supervise and perform QA/QC for the installation and commissioning of new surface track systems.
- Scrutinize technical data and the production of technical drawings and specifications relevant to the design, procurement, construction, and maintenance of surface trackwork.
- Coordinate and direct draftspersons, survey crews, and/or assigned design staff in the preparation of technical data, estimates, drawings, and specifications, including close monitoring of work progress.
- Participate in the TTC Customer Service Ambassador Program.
- Ensure inspections of track materials are completed for purposes of acceptance, payment, and installation, and approving payment.
- Plan, schedule, and manage design project activities to ensure project deliverables for streetcar track and special trackwork are met and in accordance with TTC design standards and specifications.
- Good project management skills in order to develop and proceed with complex investigations involving plans and specifications for alternative track alignments, material procurements, and construction methodologies.
- Completion of a post-secondary college diploma or university degree in a related discipline (i.e. Mechanical or Civil Engineering Technology) or a combination of education, training and experience deemed to be equivalent.
- OACETT Certification as an Engineering Technologist (C.E.T) is considered an asset.
- Sound knowledge of permanent way design principles, track maintenance, and construction practices.
- Sound judgement and well-developed mathematical, critical thinking, organizational, verbal communication and technical report writing skills.
- Computer proficiency with a strong knowledge of applications related to the work (i.e. reporting and scheduling systems) and computer aided drawing (CAD).
- Ability to give direction to technical staff and coordinate work with regards to deadlines, accuracy and quantity.
- Directly related experience in the track or roadway design field.
- Solid familiarity with railway/transit industry standards (AREMA, ASTM etc.), structural design requirements, and modern surveying techniques.
Company: Toronto Transit Commission
Job Category: Government
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Ajax, Ontario, CA
Application Deadline: N/A