Our Data Engineering group builds and maintains the platform that delivers accessible data to power decision-making at Shopify for millions of merchants. We’re hiring high-impact developers across teams:
- Strategic and tactical deliverables for your team.
- All aspects of performance management, including compensation, performance improvement plans, promotions, and separations.
- Working closely with a cross-functional team of product leaders, engineering leaders, and distributed system engineers to influence the organizational vision and help solve hard problems in scaling the data platform.
- Providing people and technical leadership within your team to support the mission of the Data Platform Engineering group.
- Deploying the team towards data platform priorities, achieving measurable impact and outcomes.
- Defining and executing on your team’s deliverables.
- Sourcing and hiring for positions in your team or organization.
- Experience with cloud infrastructure (Google Cloud, Kubernetes, Terraform) Experience with security products and methods (Apache Ranger, Apache Knox, OAuth, IAM, Kerberos)
- A proven track record of delivering impactful results.
- Experience building full-stack applications (Ruby/Rails, React, TypeScript)
- Excitement for working with a remote team; you value collaborating on problems, asking questions, delivering feedback, and supporting others in their goals whether they are in your vicinity or entire cities apart.
- Experience in query optimization, resource allocation and management, and data lake performance (Presto, SQL)
- Exceptional communication skills and ability to translate technical concepts into easy to understand language for our stakeholders.
- Modern Big-Data storage technologies (Iceberg, Hudi, Delta)
- Experience with the internals of a distributed compute engine (Spark, Presto, DBT, or Flink/Beam)
- Background and practical experience in statistics and/or computational mathematics (Bayesian and Frequentist approaches, NumPy, PyMC3, etc.)
- An experienced manager of teams of high-performing engineers.
- Experience deploying and scaling ML solutions using open-source frameworks (MLFlow, TFX, H2O, etc.)
- A Data Development Manager at Shopify would typically have at least 2 years of experience leading high-functioning teams
- Technical engineering background in one or more areas listed in the next section.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Toronto, Ontario, CA
Application Deadline: N/A