Our Data Engineering group builds and maintains the platform that delivers accessible data to power decision-making at Shopify for millions of merchants. We’re hiring high-impact developers across teams:
- The Reliability group operates the data platform in a consistent and reliable manner. They build tools for other teams on Data Platform to leverage and encourage consistency as they champion reliability across the platform.
- The Engine group organizes all merchant and Shopify data into our data lake in highly-optimized formats for fast query processing, and maintaining the security and quality of our datasets.
- The Analytics group leverages the Engine primitives to build and deliver simple and useful products that power scalable transformation of data at Shopify in batch, streaming, or for machine learning. This group is focused on making it really simple for our users to answer three questions:
- What happened in the past? What is happening now? And, what will happen in the future?
- The Data Experiences group builds end-user experiences for experimentation, data discovery, and business intelligence reporting.
- Background and practical experience in statistics and/or computational mathematics (Bayesian and Frequentist approaches, NumPy, PyMC3, etc.)
- Technical engineering background in one or more areas in the next section.
- An experienced technical leader with a proven track record of delivering impactful results.
- Exceptional communication skills and ability to translate technical concepts into easy to understand language for our stakeholders.
- Modern Big-Data storage technologies (Iceberg, Hudi, Delta)
- Excitement for working with a remote team; you value collaborating on problems, asking questions, delivering feedback, and supporting others
- in their goals whether they are in your vicinity or entire cities apart.
- Experience deploying and scaling ML solutions using open-source frameworks (MLFlow, TFX, H2O, etc.)
- Experience in query optimization, resource allocation and management, and data lake performance (Presto, SQL)
- Experience with cloud infrastructure (Google Cloud, Kubernetes, Terraform) Experience with security products and methods (Apache Ranger,
- Apache Knox, OAuth, IAM, Kerberos)
- Experience with the internals of a distributed compute engine (Spark, Presto, DBT, or Flink/Beam)
- A Staff (Lead) Data Engineer would typically have 6-10 years of experience
- Experience with technical mentoring, coaching, and improving the technical output of the people around you.
- Experience building full-stack applications (Ruby/Rails, React, TypeScript)
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CA
Application Deadline: N/A