As a recognized expert in Wireless Technology, this person is responsible to provide technical solutions for dynamic business initiatives by working with the business to develop detailed technical requirements, producing technical designs and drawings, and test plans to ensure the proper delivery of these new initiatives to SaskTel’s customers. This person is responsible to understand and evaluate new technologies, providing recommendations for their deployment within SaskTel. This person will individually and as a team member provide technical expertise that will result in leading technology change within SaskTel.
- Establishing objectives, providing regular performance feedback, conducting year end performance appraisals and taking necessary corrective action as
- Responsible to contribute to the development of technical requirements for vendor selection, provide recommendation for vendor selection and to assist in the management of vendor and partner relationships.
- Provides tier 4 support for wireless technologies.
- Accountable to develop opportunities to spark innovation in technology or product service delivery or process improvements.
- Accountable to provide ad hoc project management for smaller corporate initiatives specific to new technology introduction
- Proactively identify and action opportunities to increase customer satisfaction (internal and external customers).
- As a technical expert and widely recognized authority, is responsible for the continuous acquisition of new knowledge and skills. Acts as a mentor to members of the wireless development team and provides guidance to others in the corporation who require understanding of advanced wireless technology. Influences the thinking of upper management in the department and other areas of the corporation.
- Leads, directs and manages staff to ensure the effective use of HR resources. Maximizes performance by selecting (hire external or promote from within), developing, mentoring and sustaining a high level of expertise among staff. Organize and direct work including prioritizing assignments,
- Innovation followed (provisions of the collective agreement, performance appraisals, discipline, grievance, etc). Accountable for provisioning and managing contracted resources as may be required.
- Ensure sound financial control within area of responsibility by developing annual operating and capital budgets, monitoring performance to budget and taking action as appropriate. Develops, negotiates and implements contracts for acquisition of goods & services related to area of responsibility.
- Drives change within the organization. Accountable for decisions relating to leadership, business, and technology that influence strategic plans and programs affecting our business.
- Provide technical consulting to influences SaskTel’s business direction by understanding and relating emerging technical and industry trends to the Marketing division or other lines of business.
- Architectural design authority for Wireless technologies.
may be required. Assists in staff career planning, establishes development and succession plans and ensures relevant HR procedures and policies are
- Required to anticipate, plan, gather requirements, design, build, test or implement technical solutions involving current and evolving wireless technologies. In some situations, this may drive the need to build cross-functional teams from several departments, and provide leadership to deliver complete solutions.
- Accountable for promoting a productive and positive environment for staff that encourages innovation, teamwork, initiative and models corporate values. Motivates staff by assigning challenging work, planning and managing internal communications and awareness of corporate direction, mission, plans and activities.
- Accountable to research, develop, define and implement innovative long and short term plans, policies and objectives. Provides expertise to senior management providing education, studies and consulting on opportunities that will impact business strategy. Ensures alignment and integration with the corporate strategic plan and develops plan and operational metrics, including approaches for demonstrating business value.
- Accountable to proactively identify and action opportunities to improve revenue and growth initiatives, decrease costs, increase customer service levels and increase employee engagement.
- Accountable for professional reports, presentation, and studies that SaskTel management can rely upon as input to corporate decisions
- Accountable to ensure that the Wireless Development lab keeps pace with leading edge wireless technologies.
- Ensures all safety, health, environmental and code of conduct policies, programs and standards are understood and complied with at all times.
- Degree in Computer Science, with at least eight years of relevant wireless technology experience.
- University degree in Electrical, Electronic, Software, or Systems Engineering or dual Bachelor’s degrees in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, with at least seven years of relevant wireless technology experience
- Preference will be given to those with a Masters degree in
- Engineering. Must be eligible for registration with the Association of Professional Engineers and
- Geoscientists of Saskatchewan
- Effective in partnering with vendors and other departments within SaskTel.
- Must be familiar with SaskTel’s planning, budgeting and procurement systems.
- Diploma or Certificate in Engineering Technology, with at least ten years of relevant wireless technology experience.
- Ability to understand and implement new and emerging technologies to deliver new products and services.
- Excellent written and oral communications and interpersonal skills.
- Must possess creative as well as analytical skills.
- Education and experience (one of the following combinations):
- Ability to function well in ambiguous situations, with particular emphasis on emerging technologies.
- Demonstrated, thorough knowledge of wireless technology that should include specific knowledge related to Radio Access (UMTS/LTE), Core Network (EPC, PS, CS), services infrastructure or
- Terminals. As well, candidate should have some background in traditional telecommunications and IP networks.
Job Category: Telecom
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Estevan, Saskatchewan, CA
Application Deadline: N/A