Website Ontario Power Generation
Reporting to the Assistant General Counsel, the role of Senior Counsel provides strategic legal support to OPG in corporate and commercial law practice. Responsibilities will include providing advice to various levels of management, including senior executives and reviewing, drafting and negotiating various legal documents.
- Educate business partners about legal matters and developments relevant to their business area;
- Participate proactively in cross-functional core teams engaged in major projects, strategic business initiatives, procurement procedures and other similar matters, including participating in developing and executing commercial strategies;
- Stay current on OPG’s business and legal issues in general, including statutory changes, significant case law, and prevailing legal strategy;
- Work independently and as a member of a team to identify, research and resolve legal issues, overcome practical barriers, and provide options that will work best for the OPG business;
- Meet all work schedule requirements and proactively pursue new challenges and files;
- Develop and provide strategic advice to business partners within OPG, as well as to other lawyers within Law Division;
- Provide high-quality and timely legal advice on corporate/commercial matters;
- Liaise and develop effective relationships with internal stakeholders at all levels of the organization. Interact with and represent OPG with external stakeholders, including OPG’s shareholder, government bodies and ministries, financial institutions, external counsel engaged by OPG, and opposing legal counsel.
- Prepare and/or review and negotiate various documents, including agreements on behalf of OPG;
- Employ effective work practices and file management;
- Highest level of personal integrity, sound professional judgement and business acumen;
- Ability to provide sound, risk-informed and practical legal advice;
- Strong analytical, research and problem-solving skills with a keen eye for detail;
- Experience in providing legal support in respect of financial transactions, general corporate/commercial matters and public procurement processes;
- Bachelor of Laws degree (LLB/JD);
- Superior writing skills, including the ability to compile information from research, case files or verbal direction to draft documentation;
- P.Eng. designation and/or prior experience in the energy industry will be considered an asset.
- Experience in providing legal support in respect of major infrastructure projects, including drafting and negotiating contracts and supporting pre-litigation commercial dispute resolution processes;
- Demonstrated ability to be proactive and confident; and
- Ability to build relationships with business partners and be a team player;
- Strong verbal communication skills; ability to influence and communicate effectively across the company and externally at all levels;
- Proven ability to work in a complex, regulated corporate environment;
- A results-oriented focus and the ability to work in a fast-paced, changing environment and effectively manage several projects simultaneously;
- Member in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario (must retain status); and
- Minimum 6 – 10 years of experience in corporate/commercial law;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Outlook Express, document management and other similar technology tools.
Company: Ontario Power Generation
Job Category: Government
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Toronto, Ontario, CA
Application Deadline: N/A