Website Ontario Power Generation
Reporting to the Senior Manager Projects, the Project Leader is responsible for leading a portfolio of multidisciplinary projects in support of the operation and sustainment of OPG hydroelectric facilities across the entire fleet. This role is accountable for leading matrix project execution teams and coordinating project documentation throughout the project lifecycle.
- Prepare project charters for assigned projects. Initiate and coordinate estimates, schedules, execution plans and contract performance specifications. Develop structures for estimating and controlling project funds.
- Gather input from stakeholder departments and agencies to ensure project requirements are captured and detailed in the estimate and execution plans.
- Arrange for application to, and negotiate with internal and external agencies for all necessary approvals, licenses, permits or clearances required.
- Coordinate the clarification of design and specification requirements, and arrange for necessary changes. Coordinate and participate in the preparation of technical specifications, bid packages, evaluation of tenders, and purchasing recommendations.
- Ensure proper process is followed when defining labour requirements and arranging for labour resources with a unionized workforce.
- Arrange and lead meetings to coordinate the requirements of, and progress by designers, suppliers, construction and operations before and after contract award.
- Maintain close liaison with field construction forces and operations on matters involving design, schedules, costing, and other related issues.
- Provide immediate and higher management with regular project or work package reports. Monitor, evaluate and report on scope, quality, cost and schedule, and manage changes.
- Review cost variance reports, provide explanations and recommendations for disposition of variances, and take corrective actions when required.
- Evaluate project plans at every stage for project risk and develop mitigation plans. Execute other project management functions as required by corporate policies and procedures.
- Provide input into the preparation of project background information, contribute to scope and constructability reviews, preparation of business case submissions to senior management and sponsorship teams, for project approval and the release of funds.
- Prepare and coordinate all information pertinent to an assigned project and alternatives to be considered for input into planning.
- Maintain awareness of, and keep all project parties informed of latest construction, budgeting, estimating and scheduling practices and other corporate procedures.
- Review and maintain awareness of all corporate and local procedures pertinent to project control and administration.
- Maintain process compliance during project execution and advise supervisor if compliance cannot be achieved.
- Maintain communication with internal and external stakeholders, regulatory bodies and agencies, and cooperate in exchange of relevant information as required to meet the project objectives. Arrange and chair meetings involving appropriate stakeholders with a given project.
- Guide and direct discussions involving internal staff, contractors, manufacturers, suppliers and the like, in an effort to efficiently and effectively meet project objectives.
- Coordinate the preparation of project turnover documentation and ensure completeness. Document and address outstanding project deficiencies.
- Visit manufacturers, and suppliers as required.
- Be prepared to observe plant sites and installations in Canada to observe manufacturing progress, techniques, equipment, etc.
- Provide input as required, and utilize knowledge gained for Ontario Power Generation application.
- Recommend to Supervisor the assignment of additional field support resources as required. If contract administration or contract monitoring activities are undertaken by others in the project team, work closely with the team to ensure all project and contract requirements are communicated, and roles are clearly defined and properly understood.
- Undertake the organizing, coordinating and controlling of all stages of project management in accordance with Project Management governance for assigned projects or project packages from participation in development and approval to safe execution to final acceptance.
- Manage construction contractors according to Contractor Management governance, providing oversight and verification.
- Review and approve as required contractor submissions, schedules, work methods and quality procedures. Ensure contractor is prepared to work safely by applying Contractor Management governance and other applicable guidelines.
- Perform the Contract Administrator role as defined by Contractor Management governance and as assigned.
- Maintain an awareness of technological advancements in project management, engineering and construction fields. Review technical publications and other literature. Communicate with project management counterparts internally and externally to discuss views on improved processes, designs, products, methods and techniques.
- Liaise with plant production and work control staff in areas of outage schedules, work scope, schedule, quality, cost, safety, environmental, housekeeping and employee relations.
- 4-year university degree, Engineering, Science or Business
- Project Management Professional (PMP) designation is a desirable asset
- Prior experience applying commercial contracting methods, contract management, construction methods, codes and standards, quality assurance and health and safety.
- Sound knowledge and familiarity with equipment and processes in hydroelectric generating stations or similar heavy industries.
- Excellent problem solving abilities and the ability provide guidance.
- Licensed Professional Engineer (P.Eng) designation is a desirable asset
- Requires excellent interpersonal and communication skills and highly developed organizational skills.
- 7-10 years of experience in project management, specifically, in developing project requirements and plans; preparing cost estimates; participating in contract bidding and award processes, managing projects and contracts in execution phase, and managing project closeout.
- Demonstrated experience addressing environmental protection and associated concerns.
- Proven ability as a team player to understand and manage the interrelationships of various internal and external groups in order to facilitate objectives and ensure projects satisfy stakeholder requirements.
- Prior experience in managing conflicting priorities of scope, schedule, cost and quality.
- Experience and knowledge of cost accounting and forecasting as it relates to project management.
- Experience in managing projects of increasing complexity is considered a necessary requirement; project complexity would normally be defined by multiple-contract, multiple stakeholder projects with schedule constraints.
Company: Ontario Power Generation
Job Category: Government
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Bowmanville, Ontario, CA
Application Deadline: N/A