In this role, you will partner closely with other engineers and data scientists to power experimentation, analytical data products, and machine learning models. This is an opportunity for someone with a strong engineering and architecture background to demonstrate their thought leadership in helping craft and engineer systems, frameworks, and solutions that enable us to create world-class metrics; self-service systems for insight; architecture for storing, supporting, and building data used in machine learning models; enhance our efficiency as a team in delivering quality data for machine learning models; frameworks for proactively measuring data quality or using and managing data lineage; and architecting data into robust elegant insights that have a direct impact on the business.
- You make decisions based on logic and reasoning, and take time to understand the tradeoffs between good and bad component design or what makes good systems well-architected. You are able to stitch your designs together to form a North Star that you are capable of communicating and rallying people around.
- You are able to see potential solutions where others are not, connecting multiple systems, frameworks, solutions, or even teams together to create innovations that propel teams and the business forward.
- You have an eye for detail and like to spark joy amongst your partners with high-quality data and technical products that are well documented, modeled, and easy to understand.
- You are comfortable working in the most agile of environments with vague requirements and rapid iterations. You are nimble and take smart risks.
- You have strong communication skills to collaborate, influence, and lead with cross-functional partners, teams, and individuals in order to drive projects or your initiatives forward. You are curious and eager to work across a variety of engineering specialties (ie Software Engineering, Data Science, Data Engineering, Machine
- Learning, and Data platforms to name a few).
- You are someone who is proficient in architecting and building distributed software, frameworks, solutions, event-based data, and/or complex data pipelines for both batch and real-time (our stack is Scala, Spark, Flink, Hive/Iceberg, Kafka – so experience with these technologies is helpful but similar is sufficient) and are able to discern what it takes to make great performing solutions.
- You have a product mindset that you use to understand business needs and come up with scalable systems and engineering solutions that meet those needs.
- You are strategic in your outlook in thinking further out beyond the horizon, and always looking for opportunities to simplify, automate, and build reusable systems, frameworks, or components across multiple use cases, functions, and teams that accelerate how well we do business.
- You are proficient in at least one major language (e.g., Java, Scala, Python) and SQL (any variant). You strive to write elegant and maintainable code, and you’re comfortable with picking up new technologies.
- Experience building complex data pipelines at a scale for digital, analytics, or experimentation
- Using engineering best practices combined with machine learning best practices to design and develop features needed for machine learning models is a plus
- Experience building microservices using frameworks, such as Spring BootGood understanding of common machine learning and deep learning libraries and frameworks.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CA
Application Deadline: N/A