Website Mount Royal University
Reporting to the Team Lead, Linux Architect, the Senior Systems Administrator will work within a team environment and be responsible for performing regular operational support duties such as installation, configuration, monitoring and troubleshooting of the Linux and enterprise storage environment.
- Review and update Linux server, central storage and backup servers related user documentation as required
- Maintain logs of all scheduled changes and unplanned events.
- Assists in conducting Linux server, central storage and backup environment capacity planning.
- Plan and lead Linux server, central storage and backup equipment software upgrades and configuration changes.
- Manages Linux server, central storage and backup related maintenance issues arising from IT Service desk calls, monitoring or from direct contacts with the clients.
- Maintain a current list of technical procedures
- Review and update Linux server, central storage and backup related technical staff documentation as required.
- Plan and lead major Linux server, central storage and backup infrastructure projects.
- Monitors service logs and historical reports from system management infrastructure to ensure proper system functionality and troublesome service impacting trends.
- Supports the current Linux server, central storage and backup infrastructure technologies.
- Develop procedures, standards, guidelines and best practices for the Linux server, central storage and backup environment.
- Maintain detailed diagrams of current Linux server, central storage and backup infrastructure.
- Provide assistance and technical support to other IT staff within the IT Services department.
- Experience with authentication and authorization related technologies such as OpenLDAP, Active directory, CAS and SAML.
- Experience with cloud services is desired.
- Considerable knowledge and experience in administering, maintaining, optimizing, and debugging the Linux operating system and its associated software.
- Experience with Ansible config management and git code repositories is desirable
- Post-secondary education with an emphasis in information technology or computer science.
- Experience supporting enterprise database systems such as Oracle DB as well as open source DB such as MySQL, MariaDB and Postgres.
- Understanding of ITIL best practices.
- Capable of working in an enterprise environment, and able to implement robust business critical services.
- Strong communication and customer service skills
- 3-5 or more years of relevant experience.
- Perform analysis of the Linux computing environment and identify methods to improve efficiency and enhance customer support.
- Ability to deploy, troubleshoot, and tune web and application servers (Apache/Tomcat/Java)
- Has a solid understanding of various infrastructure platforms such as Windows server systems, enterprise networking environment, server virtualization, cloud services and security systems.
- Understanding of email transport including SMTP, mail transfer agents, and MX records.
- Experience with enterprise storage technologies including SAN, NAS and backup systems.
- Strong knowledge of shell scripting and/or Python. Other scripting languages such as PERL, Powershell, and Ruby would be an asset.
- Familiar with working within a project management framework
Company: Mount Royal University
Job Category: Education
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Waterloo, Ontario, CA
Application Deadline: N/A