Website Eastern Health
The Occupational Health & Safety Officer I is responsible for the implementation and ongoing maintenance of health, safety and environmental programs. This position ensures that safety procedures are followed to promote and protect the safety of patients, employees and visitors and that there is compliance with provincial legislation and Eastern Health policies/programming. The incumbent may perform industrial hygiene analysis where required (air quality tests, noise analysis, light surveys, etc.); interprets results of such analysis for staff, management, Occupational Health and Safety Committees; advises and supports the Asbestos Coordinator on each site in the maintenance of the Asbestos Management Plan; performs hazardous materials identification and implements testing and monitoring programs; conducts and develops educational programs for Infrastructure staff in various aspects of work place/environmental safety; performs regular audits to ensure compliance to Eastern Health’s OHS Management System; inspects Corporate operations to identify, assess and recommend corrective action to ensure safety of clients, staff, contractors and public. Working collaboratively with Infrastructure Support Management Team and staff, Workplace Health, Safety & EFAP Department, Site Administrators, Eastern Health employees, leased premises owners and 3rd party contractors to foster a safety culture both within the department and the organization.
- Regularly sitting at a computer to write incident and daily log reports and walking through facilities to investigate safety issues.
- Constantly alert to ensure health and safety of others and to possible hazards throughout the work environment which may involve regular use of your visual, auditory, touch and smell senses. There are time pressures to respond to Occupational Health and Safety directives.
- Occasionally lifting and moving safety and air quality equipment less than 10 lbs.
- By applying for this job, you acknowledge an understanding that regular requirements and demands of this job include (but are not limited to):
- Occasionally climbing ladders and scaffolding, working in confined or cramped positions and using hand tools, as well as exposure to dirt/dust, odors, chemicals, wet/slippery surfaces, sharp objects and extreme temperatures.
- A satisfactory record of work performance is required.
- Completion of post-secondary diploma and/or certification in occupational health and safety is required.
- Minimum of two years of experience within the last four years dealing with safety and environmental issues in an industrial or commercial setting is required.
Company: Eastern Health
Job Category: Health Care
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Edmonton, Alberta, CA
Application Deadline: N/A