Website Durham College
Reporting to the associate vice-president, Communications and Marketing, the director, Communications is responsible for providing leadership and guidance for the college’s communications activities. This includes the development and execution of internal and external communication strategies to support and promote Durham College’s strategic objectives and key deliverables and ensure the overall consistency of its brand and reputation. In addition, this position has a strong focus on corporate communications, media relations, digital and student communications; crisis and emergency communications; and event communication, including speech writing.
- Develops and monitors the communications-related budget within Communications and Marketing. Ensures financial management controls and practices are in place and implemented.
- Develops and executes an annual media relations strategy to secure earned media and enhance the college’s reputation and brand including the researching, development and utilization of a media editorial calendar; delivers media guidance and support to key spokespeople; manages and executes proactive and reactive media relations; and acts as a college spokesperson as appropriate.
- Strategizes, researches, edits, produces and disseminates a wide range of print and digital content to publicize the achievements of the college and engage numerous and diverse internal and external audiences. This includes coordination of all college communications channels (e.g. ICE, media, social media, website, email, etc.) to reach appropriate stakeholders.
- Ensures the efficient and effective use of fiscal and physical resources across the portfolio of responsibilities
- Leadership in management of human and financial resources
- Provides leadership and guidance to staff reporting to and through the director, Communications.
- Provides leadership, coordination, and knowledge in crisis communications/issues management and develops and executes proactive and reactive issues management key messages and strategies.
- Maintains a high level of staff performance through effective recruitment, selection, training, development, motivation and evaluation of staff. Ensures the assignment of staff is carried out and consistent with the college’s policies and procedures.
- The successful candidate will have a minimum of a four-year degree in Public Relations, Communications, or equivalent.
- A minimum of nine years of extensive experience in communications and public and media relations including the ability to deliver media guidance to key spokespeople, along with developing and executing media relations strategies to secure earned media and enhance reputation and brand is required.
- They will have a proven track record in developing and executing communications plans, impactful communications strategies and tactics along with advanced writing and editing skills with exceptional attention to detail.
- The successful candidate will have demonstrated knowledge in crisis communications and significant experience developing and executing proactive and reactive issues management strategies including situations related to issues that could enter the public domain.
- They will also have advanced knowledge of internal, external and corporate communications principles, with a thorough understanding of the channels and tools to best reach target audiences in order to achieve organizational objectives.
- The incumbent will be a strong team leader with proven management experience, excellent relationship-building and collaboration skills and the ability to work independently in a fast-paced and broad-scope environment.
- Lastly, they will have exceptional time management and prioritization skills, proven project management experience, and proven ability to delegate and manage conflict in a professional manner.
Company: Durham College
Job Category: Education
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Oshawa, Ontario, CA
Application Deadline: N/A