Website City of Winnipeg
Under the general supervision of the Network Infrastructure Coordinator, the Network Designer is responsible for the design, implementation and maintenance of City’s municipal network infrastructure, processes, related network hardware/software products, and the formulation of technical architectures. The Senior Network Infrastructure Designer carries out these responsibilities through direct action and through the direction or supervision of subordinates.
- Recommend product maintenance strategies.
- Lead initiatives and committees as assigned.
- Research, evaluate and recommend systems software and hardware products.
- Document the technical, operational, and procedural environment.
- Ensure highest possible levels of customer service are exhibited in all team interactions with clients.
- Seek out opportunities to maintain and extend customer relationships wherever possible through subject matter expertise and strong consultation skills.
- Research requirements and recommend solutions.
- Establish standards, methods and procedures for an effective and reliable municipal network infrastructure.
- Be required for on-call and occasional off-hours work.
- Develop understanding of client needs and appropriate solutions.
- Ensure established system availability and response time objectives are met.
- Architect, plan and lead the implementation of City-wide routing/switching network infrastructure (LAN, WAN, data centers)
- Experience analyzing system problems to carry out corrective actions.
- Extensive experience working with a combination of the following network infrastructure products: F5 ADC, Cisco Nexus/IOS products; Cisco
- ISE, Microsoft desktop and server operating systems.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work in a team environment and develop strong working relationships with colleagues. Ability to provide technical guidance and mentor junior staff.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressive work experience in network information technology installation and support, at a senior level.
- Knowledge of LAN/WAN infrastructure technologies such as IP networking/routing (EIGRP, BGP, OSPF), Ethernet, firewalls, network load balancing, Voice over IP, Wireless LANs, VPNs, QoS and switching VLAN design and setup.
- Knowledge of network architecture principles, cloud networking, Software Defined Networking (SD-WAN, ACI), ITIL concepts, and network security methods and procedures.
- Cisco certifications such as Cisco Certified Design Professional (CCDP) or higher is an asset.
- Ability to exercise initiative and sound judgement in fast paced, and often, stressful conditions.
- Experience in planning and implementing components within large-scale network systems projects.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills to respond to changing priorities and circumstances.
- Excellent written communication skills with the ability to communicate clearly with all levels of stakeholders and the general public.
- University degree in Computer Science and/or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Strong verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate clearly with all levels of stakeholders and the general public
Company: City of Winnipeg
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, CA
Application Deadline: N/A