Website City of Winnipeg
As the Traffic Director you will be responsible for the direction and control of all vehicular traffic within the 4R Winnipeg Depots, the prevention of scavenging at all disposal / diversion sites, education of the public and the maintenance of equipment, buildings and materials supplied for carrying out the duties. The Traffic Director also responds to emergent situations, assists in the orientation of new employees, and maintains positive working relations with staff, other departments, contractors, and the general public.
- Assist in the orientation of new employees in proper procedures and use of equipment.
- Provide customer service by responding to general enquiries such as hours of operation, tarping requirements, acceptable materials, etc
- Collect litter and debris at and around the facilities, including the Community Recycling Depots, as directed and in accordance with Safety Procedures.
- Maintain a cooperative working relationship with other departments, government agencies and the private sector by responding, where required, in a courteous and expeditious manner to enhance the overall operations of the City.
- Perform material audits at the Material Recovery Facility.
- In the course of carrying out daily tasks, the Traffic Director must practice established safety rules and regulations for the protection of self, fellow employees, the public and property, or equipment operated, by being continuously aware of existing and new safety procedures of the department.
- Operate and maintain various types of power tools, hand tools, pumps, weed eaters, lawn mowers, etc. as may be required in accordance with departmental operating and safety procedures.
- Perform other related duties consistent with the classification, as assigned/required.
- Willingness and ability for random callouts, overtime and shift work, as required.
- Educate customers on accepted and non-accepted products, as well as the overall use of the facilities.
- Direct and control traffic using assigned control equipment (e.g., barricades, signs, etc.), assign proper recyclable, divertible, or disposal area to site customers, control and direct a number of vehicles and their locations while actively managing waste at the 4R Depot.
- Assist in the general housekeeping and snow removal of the facilities and buildings.
- Monitor and inspect, if necessary, materials being managed at the landfill tipping face, composting area, or 4R Depot to ensure compliance with all applicable regulations, by-laws and departmental policies.
- Maintain Special Waste building by sorting household hazardous waste, used oil, E-waste and acceptable items and by stacking E-waste in accordance to the procedures and methods prescribed by our Producer Responsibility Organizations.
- Respond to emergent situations, customer service requests, complaints or claims respecting disposal / diversion site considerations as directed to facilitate the proper utilization of the site by the public.
- Assist in the maintenance and upkeep of equipment, buildings, and materials around the facilities as directed.
- Demonstrated ability to organize, plan effectively, set priorities and goals and take initiative.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Diversion Operations – including landfill and/or transfer station facilities.
- Perform within established safety rules and regulations for the protection of self, co-workers, customers, property and equipment.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the occupational hazards, safety precautions, regulations and procedures that is applicable to the area of work.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with employees at all levels of the organization, external contacts and the public, in accordance with the Respectful Workplace Standard.
- Demonstrated competency in safe work practices is required
- Grade 10 or the equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Computer experience in a Windows environment would be an asset.
- Ability to coordinate large volumes of traffic through the facility in short periods of time.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and to maintain composure under stressful conditions.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a high level of Customer Service.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, with minimal supervision
Company: City of Winnipeg
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, CA
Application Deadline: N/A