Website City Of Guelph
Operates the distribution system in accordance with the policies, practices and procedures of the City and Water Services and also in accordance with the requirements of their current level of certification
- Installs, repairs and maintains any and all portions of the City’s Water Distribution System and appurtenances, as required including the maintenance and repair of all equipment in Water Services Division operation.
- Provide emergency service involving the water distribution system during regular or after hours, conducting assessments and immediate repairs and/or protection measures to ensure public health & safety, as well as system integrity
- Safely operate and perform routine daily maintenance and minor repairs to assigned equipment as required by the Operations Manual.
- Responsible for and complying with health and safety in accordance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and applicable Federal,
- Provincial and City regulations, policies and procedures as well as regulations of the Ministry of the Environment and others as required.
- Perform all manual and technical tasks assigned and assist in equipment operation as required.
- Completes and maintains all daily legislative and non-legislative records as they pertain to the Distribution system and Health and Safety.
- Communicate items of interest or concern to the Lead Hands or Supervisors for discussion and/or resolution.
- Participates in all assigned training and other distribution initiatives
- Support investigations of low/high pressure complaints, leaks, dirty water complaints, trench problems and other similar events.
- Performs other related duties as assigned including but not limited to coverage of other operator and/or lead hand duties (as appropriate) or any other Water Services initiative.
- Complete daily work-orders and other related documentation; record and document works as required using provided devices such as computers, phones, tablets or logs
- Responds to water distribution calls and provides advice to customers in a cordial and professional manner.
- Ability to document accurate paper and electronic records.
- Knowledge of water distribution operations and legislative requirements as they pertain to the operation of a Drinking Water system.
- A team player with good interpersonal skills and the ability to work both individually and as part of a crew.
- Knowledge of the Highway Traffic act and safe operation of vehicles.
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a Grade 12 Diploma and 2 years’ post-secondary education in engineering, environmental science or an operationally related discipline and 6-12 months’ experience preferably in water related environment or working with related equipment and performing maintenance duties. Candidates with equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Ability to use small tools and equipment.
- Must have in your possession Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks (MECP) Operator in Training (OIT) Certificate for Water
- Distribution with the ability to obtain the Class IV Water Distribution (WD) Certificate.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to interact with the public.
- Able to perform physical requirements of position (e.g. lift objects of 25 kg, work in confined spaces and in all types of weather conditions) including after-hours works.
- Must possess a valid ‘DZ’ drivers licensee and have a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licensee is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the
- Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- A satisfactory Police and Vulnerable Sector Record Check would be required at time of offer.
- Intermediate skills in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word and Excel) and ability to use mobile tablet PC’s and water related software such as
- Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) and Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS).
- Knowledge of WHMIS and the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
Company: City Of Guelph
Job Category: Cities And States
Vacancy Type: Part Time
Job Location: Cambridge, Ontario, CA
Application Deadline: N/A