Website City of Calgary
As the Deputy Construction Director, you will be responsible for leading the Green Line’s construction management, safety management, quality management and environmental management teams for the early works and the DBF contracts. You will report to the Construction Director of Green Line and will work closely with the Technical, Commercial, Stakeholder Relations, and Business Services Deputy Directors as counterparts to successfully deliver the Stage 1 program which is 20 km in length with a capital cost of $4.9B. Stage 1 includes at-grade, elevated, and underground urban LRT track and stations. Stage 1 also includes several bridges and three river crossings. Responsibilities of the Deputy Construction Director include but are not limited to:
- Lead the construction management function ensuring the overall quality, budget, and schedule objectives.
- Provide subject matter expertise in constructability projects and act as a construction expert in claims scenarios. Manage complex project issues and risks, facilitate effective conflict resolution, communicate with internal and external stakeholders, and manage their expectations.
- Manage safety, quality, environmental, and construction teams.
- As a knowledgeable and credible leader, provide support for stakeholder engagement and communications matters to positively influence significant stakeholders and key partner agencies.
- Monitor and manage construction Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).
- Review of the design and technical submissions by Project Co from constructability standpoint.
- Provide constructability feedback to the technical team and participate in the review of technical proposals.
- Administration and oversight of the DBF contract scope (Project Co’s scope).
- Administration and oversight of all contracts and construction activity related to early works and utility scope (Owner’s scope).
- Ensure all pre-construction deliverables are understood and scheduled to comply with construction contract needs, including utilities, permitting, environmental, land acquisition, and third-party agreements.
- Ensure compliance with corporate safety, project management standards, procedures, controls, and environmental requirements.
- Actively participate in the program risk management from construction standpoint.
- Provide construction oversight, leadership, and direction for the delivery of the Green Line.
- Prepare and deliver presentations to project’s senior executive team, City senior leadership, Committees and Council, Green Line Board, and other senior levels of government.
- Provide senior leadership in the resolution of implementation issues with third-party partners including Alberta Transportation, City of Calgary,
- Calgary Transit, and utility companies to ensure construction schedules are achieved or improved.
- Any other duties as assigned by the Construction Director
- Ensure compliance to all technical, legal and professional requirements and advocate for continuous improvement.
- Manage the budget for early works and to avoid cost overruns.
- Provide professional guidance to other Project team members as required.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, with competing priorities with a reasonable and balanced problem-solving approach.
- Equivalent combinations of experience and education may be considered.
- At least 5 years of experience in a construction leadership role leading a multidisciplinary team in large and complex infrastructure projects.
- Experience working on P3 projects is an asset.
- A degree in Engineering in a related field and at least 15 years of experience in large and complex infrastructure projects, which includes a minimum of 5 years of experience in projects involving utility relocation, deep excavation, LRT track and station, underground work, elevated work, bridges and tunneling.
Company: City of Calgary
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Calgary, Alberta, CA
Application Deadline: N/A