Website City of Burnaby
This is administrative work of some variety and complexity in providing clerical and administrative support services for the Municipal Clerk’s Department. An incumbent prepares agenda for Council meetings, processes all departmental incoming mail, acts as secretary to various Council committees and supervises the work of one or more subordinates. The work also includes responsibility to develop, implement and monitor records, management systems and procedures.
- Acts as secretary to various Council committees, sets up and coordinates meeting arrangements, prepares agenda and supporting material, takes, edits, prepares and distributes minutes and advises on procedural rules during such meetings. Acts on behalf of supervisors during their absences within well defined limits.
- The work involves considerable contact with elected officials, the public and a variety of internal contacts. Considerable independence of judgement and action is exercised in most aspects of the work.
- Distributes and coordinates preparation of replies to incoming mail, and as appropriate, includes correspondence and departmental replies in
- Council agenda; ensures replies are prepared in a timely manner and, where applicable, in accordance with Council decisions.
- The more complex problems and matters of policy and those of a contentious nature are referred to a supervisor, who reviews work performance in terms of effectiveness of services rendered and attainment of desired results.
- Qualifications include completion of Grade 12 and a two year program in business or public administration including or supplemented by courses in records management, plus considerable related experience
- An equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Working knowledge of the operations and functions of various Municipal departments. Ability to assign, check and supervise the work of one or more subordinates and to conduct performance evaluations of same, to prepare Council agendas and coordinate preparation of agenda items with various departments;
- Considerable knowledge of the Municipal Act, by-laws, statutes, regulations, policies and procedures applicable to the work performed; of the functions and objectives of the various committees served; and of records management as related to file, library, microfilm and related information storage, distribution and retrieval systems.
- To arrange and coordinate meetings, prepare agendas, and to take and transcribe minutes that involve interpretation of the collective sense of meetings, and to frame motions often from general dialogue; To develop, implement and maintain information, storage, distribution and retrieval systems; to establish and maintain effective working relationships with officials, the public and a variety of internal contacts; and to act on behalf of superiors during their absence within defined limits.
Company: City of Burnaby
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Burnaby, British Columbia, CA
Application Deadline: N/A