Website City of Barrie
The Operations Department is comprised of three Branches: Parks and Forestry; Roads, Stormwater, Rail and Fleet Operations; and Solid Waste and Technical Operations. Key responsibilities include the operation and maintenance of the City’s public works infrastructure and system, the operation of the City’s landfill and the collection of solid waste, and maintenance of the Corporation Fleet Assets.
- Maintenance activities include assisting with the inspection, pruning, removal and replacement of trees on streets and in active and passive parkland throughout the City.
- The Forestry Learner is part of a front-line team directly responsible for performing all required maintenance of municipal trees within the City of Barrie.
- This is an entry-level forestry position with day-to-day responsibilities related to assisting the Forestry Journeypersons with urban arboriculture which is integral in ensuring that the citizens of Barrie enjoy a safe urban forest along with all of the benefits that a healthy urban forest canopy provides.
- Working towards and in the process of obtaining a College Certificate in Urban Arboriculture or related discipline from an accredited association, organization and/or institution
- Basic knowledge of chainsaw maintenance
- Ability to learn computer literacy utilizing Microsoft Office Suite (e.g. Outlook, Word, Excel) as well as other Tree Inventory (e.g. TRIMS) and
- Work Order (e.g. Cityworks) systems
- Ability to deal with the public in a courteous and efficient manner to promote a high standard of customer service and public relations at all times
- Six (6) months of experience in an arboriculture or urban forestry role
- Certificate for Chainsaw Safety and Cutting Techniques obtained within the last three (3) year
- Secondary School Diploma
- Basic understanding of urban arboriculture
Company: City of Barrie
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Barrie, Ontario, CA
Application Deadline: N/A