Website Brock University
Reporting to the Associate Vice-President, Government Relations & Strategic Partnerships, the Director, Government and Community Relations is responsible for advancing Brock University’s strategic priorities in areas impacted by local, provincial and/or federal government programs, policies and legislation. The Director is responsible for creating and maintaining positive relationships with all levels of government officials and community leaders to advance Brock University’s interest. They are accountable for developing government engagement and community relations strategies that develop mutually beneficial partnerships, and for working with a wide range of University stakeholders to enable and support those strategies. The Director is accountable for creating funding applications, lobbying plans and oversees Brock’s compliance with federal and provincial lobbying requirements.
- Lead the development of annual Government Relations work plan and measure progress
- Proactively monitor, analyze and interpret government programs, legislation and activities and provides advice on the implications and opportunities for the University
- Provide leadership to the office’s Government and Community Relations staff to ensure high quality, integrated service delivery
- Work directly with partner organizations and community leaders to find synergies and areas of partnership
- Foster, develop and effectively liaise with key stakeholders including industry, alumni, donors, government and community partners in order to advance the University’s strategic relationships
- Implement Brock’s Community Engagement and Brock’s corporate social responsibility plans
- Establish and manage high-value relationships with government, industry and community organizations
- Oversee the research, analysis and monitoring of government activities in order to effectively advise senior administration
- Develop and implement strategies to position the University as a partner to government and the community
- Responsible for budget management, financial reporting and the office’s strategic planning development.
- Lead strategic special projects that support Brock’s further expertise and partnership with the community.
- Evaluate pending legislative changes and their impact on the University and develop the University’s response to support coordinated future communications with government officials
- Provide leadership and advice on responses to inquiries from government officials and community leaders, creating advocacy documents, proposals for funding and other required communications
- Support Brock’s ability to enhance its community relationships and expand existing partnership networks to increase the university’s community impact and reputation
- Demonstrated ability generating new opportunities and presenting business cases to decision makers
- Understanding of the government, the Niagara Region, and the University’s sector infrastructure, research, and community outreach plans
- Knowledge of government legislation and priorities at all four levels with the ability to stay up-to-date, analyze and interpret legislation and its changes
- 10+ years of previous experience and demonstrated success in progressively more responsible positions working in the government (federal, provincial or municipal) sector or a post-secondary institution
- High level of diplomacy, tact, discretion, and experience handling confidential and sensitive information and situations with the utmost discretion
- Ability to represent Brock University to the government at every level and influence decisions/outcomes
- Strong research, organization, attention to detail, and writing skills
- A graduate or Bachelor’s degree coupled with relevant education and experience
- Strong problem-solving, mediation and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to be impartial and flexible when making decisions without compromising legislative requirements and established policies
- Persuasive argument techniques with the ability to reason in a logical manner to motivate and encourage individuals that may be reluctant to engage in government relations initiatives
- Demonstrated competence in analytical and critical thinking skills
- Ability to stay up-to-date on issues and trends in the field of international higher education.
Company: Brock University
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Niagara Falls, Ontario, CA
Application Deadline: N/A