Website Brock University
The System Support Specialist provides customer service and technical support/assistance to faculty, staff, and students by assessing technical problems, providing solutions to technology problems, and incorporating and adapting new technology and efficiencies into the Brock community. In addition, the position is assigned and responsible for specific accountabilities within the Client Services portfolio (accountabilities include: virus recovery, desktop security, network printer administration, O365 Apps, Exchange e-mail, desktop hardware, computer laboratory administration, Active Directory, data recovery, mobile devices, Microsoft Office expertise, ticket triage, and technical support for all users and systems across the campus, supplier and vendor management, executive support).
- Provide technical support for IT federated groups as required;
- Responsible for the maintenance, configuration, and reliable operation of computer systems, network servers, and virtualization;
- Utilize system management tools to inventory, monitor, patch, and update supported software, systems and servers;
- Perform analysis, diagnosis, documentation, and resolution of complex IT system problems for clients;
- Maintain and support various desktop /mobile management tools but not limited to JAMF, KACE, Bomgar, SCCM, ESET etc;
- Ensure security for file shares, desktops, and printers through administration of the campus Active Directory;
- Identify, document, and implement IT efficiencies;
- Responding to queries via ticketing system, email, or phone
- Participate in cyber security incidents and work with affected clients to secure their devices/data and recommend, implement, and document corrective solutions;
- Develop and maintain strong business relationships with assigned departments, faculties, and ancillary groups;
- Research emerging technologies to streamline IT efficiencies across the university to improve the client experience;
- Liaise between clients and other ITS teams to resolve issues and create efficiencies;
- Provide local and remote technical support to faculty, staff and students;
- Provide guidance and support to junior and student employees;
- Ensure reliability through management of the core IT services including email, Office- 365, printing and file shares for all users;
- All other related duties as required and/or assigned by Client Services Management.
- Participate as a key stakeholder in the strategy, design, transition, operation, and continual service improvement phases of all projects that modify or add services that affect the client experience;
- Enforce ITS security policies and promote ITS best practices within the University community and work as a team member to collaboratively resolve client incidents and service requests with other team members, partners and suppliers;
- Assist departments, faculties, and groups with supplier management;
- Create, build, analyze, test, and deploy operating systems and application packages for supported hardware, ensuring all configurations meet IT standards;
- Document solutions thoroughly and update the knowledge base when appropriate;
- Provide IT specialist support and accountability, including troubleshooting, setup, implementation, upgrades, research, and documentation;
- Maintain an inventory of Brock University client owned equipment for asset management and repair.
- Provide high level technical support for enterprise software packages (such as Brock Card, Residence systems, scheduling software, email, and print accounting) including updates to applications and corresponding systems and servers.
- Ability to track, make recommendations for improvement and implement improvements in IT technology;
- Advanced knowledge of MS-Windows, Apple, and Linux Operating systems;
- Knowledge and understanding the IT demands of a large scale employer.
- A minimum of five years of progressive computing technical support experience.
- Experience working in an educational or government organization is preferred.
- Strong troubleshooting capabilities and the ability to provide appropriate solutions;
- Diplomatic and tactful when interacting with irate or upset clients;
- Advanced knowledge of various software programs and business applications;
- Knowledge of ITIL principles;
- Strong verbal and interpersonal communication skills;
- Strong working knowledge of the interactions between computer software, hardware, servers and networks;
- Ability to analyze technology alternatives and synthesize knowledge and information from various sources;
- Working knowledge of anti-virus systems;
- A team player with the ability to communicate with various stakeholders;
- Ability to identify efficiencies and improvements to existing systems.
- Knowledge of various internet browsers;
- Three year college diploma or university degree in related field.
- Ability to devise guidelines regarding technical issues for various clients;
- Advanced knowledge of computer hardware and software, systems and configuration management, active directory, software installation, and
- Microsoft Exchange;
- Self-motivated and directed, with the demonstrated ability to multitask and effectively manage multiple and competing deadlines/projects;
- Working knowledge of mobile devices including setup and configuration;
- Strong attention to detail and ability to accurately/diligently document specific information;
Company: Brock University
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Thorold, Ontario, CA
Application Deadline: N/A