Website Brampton Transit
Reporting to the Supervisor, Court Operations & Administration, provide court administration support. Respond to both counter and phone enquiries from the public, members of legal profession and enforcement agencies. Act as a courtroom monitor within Provincial Offences Act court sessions, including operation of verbatim court-recording equipment in court under the general direction of the Supervisor. Prepare and certify court transcripts.
- Receives and processes payouts for fines, fees, restitution, transcripts and other source revenue and reconciles / balances all accounts.
- Accepts, marks and records all exhibits submitted in court; obtains exhibits from appropriate custodian and returns exhibits each day for trial continuations.
- Opens, recesses, resumes and closes court and arranges adjournment dates. Arraigns defendants, records plea ad records dispositions on Certificates/Informations. Ensures order and decorum are maintained in the courtroom.
- Provide administrative/clerical support to the Manager and Supervisors as may be required.
- Ensures all court proceedings are documented and recorded in accordance with legislated requirements and the Rules of Procedure.
- Provide judicial assistance by preparing dockets and files in order for court/screening and hearing reviews to proceed.
- Accepts filing of Certificates of Offence, Informations, Penalty Notices including data entry or preparation for data entry by external vendor, ensuring all pre- and post-court work is completed.
- Provide bilingual (English and French) client service, support & issue resolution by assisting the public and any/all persons present in the courtroom, in the court office and over the telephone as required and/or requested by determining the nature and scope of their needs. All tasks and services are provided in both English and French as required, including but not limited to translating documents, correspondence of any kind, researching information and resources, explaining requirements/protocols, responding to issues, answering questions, providing procedural guidance, information and support and redirecting as necessary.
- Ensures all proceedings are safeguarded, recorded, annotated and certified in accordance with legislated requirements and ministry guidelines.
- Prepares and records statistical data, prepares and reviews reports from various systems. Provide technical advice, guidance and mentorship to other employees on providing court services to the public and clients, both in and out of court, as experts in all front-line services.
- Assist other staff within the office during peak periods as may be required.
Produce transcripts or copy of digital recording of court proceedings on request.
- Liaise with other agencies and city divisions.
- Court and Client Representatives work on rotational basis, either daily in assignment to courts or on rotational basis in client services as deemed required by management and requests from judiciary.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills with an emphasis on customer service.
- Federal French language proficiency level B required.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite.
- Proficiency in computerized court case management systems such as ICON, Command Center and CAMS
- Over one (1) year, up to and including two (2) years of related court experience.
- Knowledge of legislation and processes related to court administration matters.
- Superior organizational skills.
- High School (Grade 12) graduation plus an additional program of over one and up to two years or equivalent in Court Support Services, Court Reporting, Law, Business, Psychology, Sociology,
- Human Resources or related program.
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team.
Company: Brampton Transit
Job Category: Government
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Hamilton, Ontario, CA
Application Deadline: N/A