Website British Columbia Institute of Technology - BCIT
This position carries out planned and emergency maintenance, repair and installation of institute water, gas, drainage, air, heating systems and backflow prevention assemblies.
- Conducting preventative maintenance on multiple systems which are interconnected, as per the PM Plan; duties include printing off daily schedule, inspecting, identifying deficiencies and taking corrective action.
- Undertaking duties as assigned consistent with the job grade of this position.
- Establishing priorities and requirements for the Preventative Maintenance (PM) Plan, including items that need to be inspected and maintained for regulatory reasons.
- Coordinating and monitoring the work of contractors to ensure adherence to established standards.
- Staying current on new technology and regulatory requirements including changes to standards and codes related to the profession.
- Adhering to and promoting safety standards required by regulatory bodies consistent with the assigned work.
- Responding to trouble calls, and taking corrective action; this includes troubleshooting problems on a wide variety of systems. The problems are sometimes difficult to identify, solutions are not standard, and many are emergency calls. Priorities are established by assessing the impact on property and public safety.
- Operating various lifts to get at equipment and systems; including working at heights and within confined spaces.
- Preparing and completing work orders including; clearing stoppages in plumbing fixtures, drains, sumps and sewer lines, repairing and replacing faucets, system valves, pipes, coils and other fittings, clearing and replacing strainers, traps and filters, installing and relocating fixtures and fittings, performing minor cutting, drilling and patching of building fabric and structure.
- Continually learning about advances in system and equipment design, advancing technology through communicating with local suppliers, on-the-job training, adapting older systems to work with new components and parts.
- Estimating labour and materials for renovations, upgrades and projects, including reviewing project drawings, sketches, and specifications and making recommendations for improvements.
- Preparing drawing, sketches, layout diagrams, and estimates for internal projects and work required.
- Upgrading existing systems to more modern and efficient options.
- Making recommendations and suggestions for improvement to Program Coordinators on various building projects on campus.
- Maintaining an inventory of plumbing supplies.
- Resolving any issues related to natural gas including cleaning, maintaining, servicing systems and replacing old systems with new equipment on an ongoing basis (note: this area is highly regulated with provincial standards that must be maintained).
- Communicating with individuals from a variety of departments within BCIT, and external contractors brought in to work on systems, including working with difficult or upset clients, describing problems and explaining the interrelation of complex systems.
- Ability to assess blueprints and make recommendations for specific trade requirements is an asset.
- Must be able to work independently.
- Basic computer training and experience is required.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills are required to maintain top quality customer service standards.
- Proven ability to trouble shoot and resolve related issues in conjunction with the assigned level of skill, ability and education.
- Willingness to maintain currency in the field and learn on the job is essential.
- A valid Trades Qualification or an Interprovincial Trades Ticket (Journey person status) plus technical education and/or certifications in the relevant building trades industry; plus two (2) years general trades experience plus up to four (4) years current relevant experience in the building trades industry.
Company: British Columbia Institute of Technology – BCIT
Job Category: Education
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Victoria, British Columbia, CA
Application Deadline: N/A