Website BC Hydro
The Senior Engineer will be part of the Lower Mainland Distribution Engineering team, stationed in Burnaby, providing engineering for system reinforcements, new construction and extensions of the electrical distribution system to supply domestic, industrial and commercial load including Independent Power Producers.
- Impart engineering knowledge: give instructions, advice and technical guidance to other engineers, project managers, designer technicians, design technologists, and technical support staff.
- Work closely with stakeholders to reach consensus and drive innovation, finding engineering solutions that add value, address competing interests, and offer least life cycle cost.
- Perform circuit analysis: load flow, voltage stability, fault current, motor start, power quality emission limit and protection coordination studies.
- Make recommendations for system improvements and the connection of new customers to the Distribution Planning team. Design equipment settings.
- Work independently, under general direction, with work assigned in terms of broadly defined objectives and budget limitations.
- Advice of manager may be sought in critical areas, as high profile work would impact the work of others.
- Review the work of external consultants to ensure accuracy, achievement of required results, meeting BC Hydro system needs, and adherence to accepted engineering practices.
- Investigate, analyze and solve a variety of engineering problems, many of which are challenging and unusual in nature. Contribute to the development of technical standards and design practices.
- Develop and maintain effective professional relationships with internal and external colleagues and clients in order to determine relative priorities, assess the impact of work on others and resolve issues of concern.
- Demonstrate organizational, analytical, and problem solving skills.
- Have a minimum of 8 years of relevant engineering experience in utility distribution engineering or a equivalent industry.
- Demonstrate technical knowledge in both overhead and underground electric utility distribution systems operating at voltages up to and including 35kV.
- Be registered, or eligible for immediate registration, as a Professional Engineer with Engineers and Geoscientists of BC (EGBC).
- Have a degree in Electrical Engineering from a recognized/accredited university. Engineering degrees in other disciplines may be considered if the candidate has the required level of applicable experience for this position.
- Apply practical knowledge and sound judgment in the analysis and resolution of problems.
- Demonstrate strong leadership, facilitation, relationship management, and inter-personal skills.
- Possesses good verbal and written communications skills to adequately articulate and discuss technical options, present proposed solutions to a wide range of audiences, and the ability to adapt to the different understanding levels of the audience.
Company: BC Hydro
Job Category: Government
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Victoria, British Columbia, CA
Application Deadline: N/A